I figured it may be fun to go through all of the OverTheWire Bandit Wargames, which are aimed at absolute beginners who want to start learning about security principles.
My aim will be to provide a very simple explanation of how each game is played, which will hopefully expand my own knowledge and help a few of you at the same time.
All posts in this serial have been tagged #OverTheWire.
The password for the next level is stored in a hidden file in the inhere directory.
Commands you may need to solve this level
ls, cd, cat, file, du, find
We’re starting to get a little more complex now, but effectively this is an exercise in navigating directories and listing hidden folders, both of which we can do with a few commands –
- Type ‘ls’ to list the files and directories, you should see a directory called “inhere”.
- Navigate to the “inhere” directory by typing “cd inhere”.
- Once in the directory we need to find the hidden file, type “find” which should return a single file name.
- Type “cat ./.hidden” to output the contents of the hidden file.
- You should find that the password for the next level is “pIwrPrtPN36QITSp3EQaw936yaFoFgAB”.